Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Eighteen

Photo taken on Mother's Day 2013
 
An open letter to my son on his eighteenth birthday:

Dear Daniel,

When I first held you eighteen years ago, there was no way that I could know how much joy and love and pride I would feel for you throughout the coming years. I had no clue what I was doing as the mom of a boy, since I didn't have any brothers. Thankfully, you gave me lots of grace and still do! As I held you in my arms, I had no idea that you would develop such a passion and love for playing the drums, although I began to see that early on when you began drumming on anything and everything to make your preferred choice of music.

Now that you are reaching an important milestone in your life, one of many happening this year, I want you to know that I am proud of the man you are becoming. I love spending time with you, just hanging out and watching shows on Netflix, or hearing about your day. I am so thankful that you are willing to be open and honest with me about what goes on in your life. You have "let me in" and I look forward to many more conversations that we'll have and to hearing about your many adventures in life.

I love watching you play the drums, and yes, I even love listening to you play, even when it's loud. I also love that you enjoy being a part of a band, whether it's the worship team at church or your jazz combo or just a simple "jam session" with your friends. I love having live music in my living room and getting a "front row seat" to hear what you all are playing.

Another passion of yours is reading and learning, especially when you don't have to do it for a class. I'm glad that you love to read and I love seeing stacks of books in your room, waiting for you to have time to open them up.

And speaking of time, I love how you are a pretty good manager of your time. You are a busy guy, but you know your limits (most of the time) and you are good about making time for your family, your friends and the activities that you are involved in. I remember when you started high school and decided that you didn't want to try to play baseball and be in the school band. You chose to pursue music because you felt more of a leaning toward that long-term.

I am proud of and thankful that you are a man after God's own heart. You aren't ashamed of your faith and are willing to share with others in an unassuming and non-threatening way. I know that you will have struggles and doubts along the way, but I am thankful that you know the Lord and are committed to following Him as you move into your next phase of life.

"Continue in what you have learned and have become convinced of, because you know those from whom you learned it, and how from infancy you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus.All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work." 2 Timothy 3:14-17, NIV
Eighteen is a big deal, and so is graduating from high school and going on an international mission trip and starting college. You are facing all of these milestones with your normal, laid-back, fun, embracing-life kind of way and it's very exciting for me to watch!

For your birthday, I give you your wings! Go soar with the eagles and know that God holds you with His righteous right hand (Isaiah 40:28-31; 41:10).

Your mom loves you!

No comments: