Thursday, September 29, 2016

August Recap

Well, I haven't been keeping up with my blog a lot lately. I can blame social media, which I partake in way too much, or my busy schedule. I guess it was a combination of all of it, but I do want to catch up and continue to have this place to document my life (and thoughts).

Let's see, after I got back from my trip to visit my sister and family, my feet hit the ground running with starting a new part-time job at the YMCA close to my house. In August, I started taking two weeknight shifts a week and two Saturday afternoon shifts a month as a Membership Greeter. I basically welcome everyone who walks into the Y and also try to say something as they walk out the door later. I have been going there as a member for several years, so this just feels like an extension of that, with the added bonus of a free membership and paycheck.

For the fun stuff in August, the big thing was a weekend trip to East Tennessee to participate in the Access-Life Expo with my friends, Doug and Leanne Goddard, at Cherokee Dam in Jefferson City. I recruited some Nashville friends to join me this year, and Daniel also came to volunteer, so it was fun to be able to serve together.

My role again this year was to be a "roving" photographer and try to get some stories for the A-L blog. Daniel was on the "water and snack" team and got to ride on the back of the Gator for some of the day, delivering waters to various points. Debbie was at the Photo Booth, helping to take backdrop pictures of participants. Eric was a "buddy" and was paired with a participant and his wife for the event. Chris was a the Registration tent and greeted participants as they came through the line at the start of the day.

Here are some pics from that day:

The Access-Life Trailer that transports all the things needed for each Expo
Chris Lynch was so excited to get to come volunteer and he did a great job at Registration

The Nashville Crew:  Eric, Me, Chris and Debbie

Daniel on the back of the Gator

Eric and his "buddy" at the t-shirt tent
Debbie got to reunite with a friend from FL, Tracy, who now works for A-L

The Photo Booth Crew:  David, Debbie, Ed and Helen

Daniel and I enjoy getting to volunteer together each year

No comments: