Tuesday, May 13, 2014

25 years! What???



This happened 25 years ago today!
It's hard for me to get my mind around the fact that it's been that long since I was in college! I guess I have to believe it, especially since I now have a college kid myself.

I loved my four years at Belmont COLLEGE. It grew and changed and became a university in the 25 years since I graduated, but it holds some of my favorite memories and I have cherished friendships that began on that campus.

Some people might wonder how a girl who grew up in New Jersey made it down to Tennessee to attend a little-known (at the time) school. I had spent a lot of time in the South on family vacations and had a desire to attend a Baptist school. I found Belmont while perusing a college directory (yes, a printed volume that was published annually--no internet back then) and it had a degree program I wanted to pursue (Broadcasting). Since it was one of the few Baptist schools that wasn't located in the "boonies," I decided to visit and applied. After being wait-listed at the only other school I applied to, I got the letter saying that I didn't get in (something about a quota from northern states), so Belmont became my obvious choice.

Looking back, I believe that God led me to Belmont and to Nashville. It was there that I met the man I married, which resulted in us having a son. My "pilgrimage" to Nashville also eventually brought my sister and parents here, and it has become our family's home.

Belmont will always have a special place in my heart and I am thankful that I was given the opportunity to get an education and earn a degree there!

No comments: