Friday, March 9, 2012

Flashback Friday: Harding Mall

For this flashback, I'll stay on the mall theme. If you've been in Nashville only a couple of years, you might not know that the Wal-Mart at the corner of Harding Place and Nolensville Road used to be the Harding Mall. It was a smaller mall, but had two anchor stores in it's "heydey" (maybe more, but that's what I remember).

When I was in college, there was also a movie theater there and at some point during my college years, it became a "dollar theater" making it even more attractive to me and my friends. Some movies that I remember seeing there are "Stealing Home" and "Mannequin" (remember those 80s movies?).

I can also remember taking Daniel to the Sears portrait studio at Harding Mall when he was three months old. Those were not my favorite pictures taken of him, but they were his first "professional" portraits and I have the one I bought hanging on the wall in my hallway.

Some other stores that I remember shopping in at the Harding Mall were Family Bookstore, Marshall's, Castner-Knott (and later it was bought by Dillard's, I think) and a cross-stitch store (my old hobby before scrapbooking).

Harding Mall went through a renovation at one point and the movie theater closed. Eventually, the whole mall just wasn't doing enough business and someone had the great idea to transform it into a huge Wal-Mart. I sometimes miss being able to run down there to grab a gift or just to walk around without going to the bigger mall areas of town.

No comments: