Saturday, November 20, 2010

30 Days of Thankfulness: Day Twenty

For Day Twenty, I am thankful for the little things.

I know that some people in my life (past and present) might think otherwise, but it really doesn't take a lot to make me happy. Sure, I like it when big, exciting things happen to me (good things), but I can honestly say that I get a great deal of pleasure and happiness from the little things in life.

Here are some examples:
  • A few months ago, I made a comment on Facebook about how I had not been able to find my favorite gum, Orbit Citrusmint, in my local stores, and wondered if they'd discontinued that flavor. A week or so later, I found a small package in my mailbox. Since it wasn't my birthday or Christmas, it was very intriguing to me, and when I opened it, I found several packs of my favorite gum, thoughtfully sent to me from my cousin who lives in Texas. A couple of other people locally also brought me gum when they saw me at church. It wasn't something that I had to have to continue living, but those simple acts of kindness and thoughtfulness brought me lots of joy!
  • When I am in a creative mood and am making cards or scrapbooking, having a creative idea or inspiration is a little thing that makes me happy (and that happened to me today).
  • Last week, my sister and family came to Daniel's jazz band concert and when they arrived, Erica looked over at me (in the darkened auditorium, while the concert was in progress) and let out a very excited squeal, "Aunt Nette!" because she didn't know she would see me there. So sweet!
  • Because most mornings, including weekends, I usually have to get up and get going with whatever I'm doing that day, I love it when I have a Saturday morning to wake up leisurely and stay in my pj's, reading magazines, drinking a cup of hot tea (or flavored coffee).
  • Just today, a friend brought me an unexpected gift. It wasn't something she had to spend a lot of money on, but she knew it would be something I would enjoy and she wanted to share it with me. I appreciated her thinking of me so much!
I'm so glad that God cares about the big things and the little things in my life, and that He uses people in my life to provide many of the little things that make me happy and content.

No comments: