Wednesday, January 21, 2009

What do I have to complain about?

Tonight's discussion at community group was based on Scott's sermon from passages in Exodus 15, 16 and 17, where the Isrealites were grumbling and complaining, instead of believing, trusting and praying.

Sadly, the sermon and the discussion tonight hit a nerve with me, since I seem to have a habit of complaining and looking at the down side of situations. If this fact about me surprises you, then I have been successful at hiding my true self from you. If this doesn't surprise you, thanks for loving me anyway! :-)

I really and truly do not want to be a complainer or a negative person, and many times, thanks to the transforming power of the Holy Spirit, I am able to look at the bright side and think of all the things I have to be thankful in my life. I know that God is not finished with me yet, and does not give up on me in my weaknesses, and I am very grateful and humbled.

So, for the record, I do not have anything to complain about. I have a steady income and lots of good benefits from my employment. I have a home and a car and many material possessions that make my life easier. I have an AWESOME son and WONDERFUL parents, sister, brother-in-law and niece, not to mention all of my other loving relatives (even ones I'm not technically related to anymore, but who still care about me and keep in touch). I have an INCREDIBLE group of friends, both near and far, and am constantly in touch with them via email, phone, Facebook and in person. I have a church that I love and where I can serve and learn and grow in my faith. And the greatest thing I have to be thankful for is the love of God (that I mentioned earlier). What more could I ask for and why would I ever want to complain?

Thanks to my pastor for tackling this subject with us on Sunday, and thanks to God for continuing to show me how to get outside of myself and see the blessings all around me! Now, if I can just remember that when I am cold tomorrow morning when I go to get in my car and when the rude people cut me off when I'm trying to get on the interstate!

1 comment:

robin said...

thanks for sharing your heart and being truly honest and transparent. you are such an encouragement to others to be real and listen to the spirit's prompting, rather than push Him aside. what a lesson for all of us!