Sunday, September 18, 2011

2011 Scripture Memory #18

It's September 18th (and almost the end of the day) and I have known that I needed to write a post about the next scripture memory verse for three days now, but other things have gotten in my way. Also, I can't honestly say that I remember any of the previous 17 verses, much less the five other points of the gospel from camp. So, I feel defeated and like I shouldn't even post about memorizing scripture because I haven't followed through on it very well. How's that for some honesty???

But, because I know in my heart that the reason for even trying to memorize scripture is so that we can grow in our relationship with God, and because I believe that God uses any effort to know the Word more, I will persevere and I will continue to post the verses. If for no other reason than I am NOT willing to let Satan have a victory here, here's the next verse (#6 in the Six Points of the Gospel from Crossings Camp):

"That if you confess with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,”
and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.
For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified,
and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved."
Romans 10:9-10, NIV

We are called to trust Jesus as Lord of our lives.

I vividly remember hearing Carolyn Jenkins say these verses at a youth event when I was helping with the youth group at First Baptist Church, Nashville, during college. I had already personally made this confession of Jesus as Lord, but the simplicity of the gospel in those verses stayed with me and give a good word picture to help us remember. And tonight, I am thankful to have this reminder that Jesus is Lord and I will continue to trust Him as Lord of my life.

No comments: