Friday, November 12, 2010

30 Days of Thankfulness: Day Twelve

For Day Twelve, I am thankful for music.

In some way, shape or form, music has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. My parents both enjoy music and I'm sure started singing to me and with me from the time I was born. I have memories of our family singing at the dinner table (try having your dad and uncles break out singing "The Doxology" as the prayer before the meal the first time your boyfriend comes to visit) and we used to bring song books with us on long family car trips and would have sing-alongs to pass the time. Come to think of it, I think I was probably most thankful for the two portable cassette tape players that my mom bought for me and my sister so we could each have our own music on those long trips!

I'm thankful for how music has helped me navigate many different emotions, from happy to sad and everything in between. Some songs evoke strong memories for me, some just cause me to want to dance and sing karaoke (yes, that would be a fun surprise party to give me). I am most thankful for how music gives me an outlet for praising God and worshiping Him. My favorite songs on my iPod are worship songs and I like to make playlists with songs that have a certain theme.

I probably won't ever write a song that gets played on the radio, but I am so thankful that God has put music in my life, through the talents of others, and that it is a way that I can express myself to Him and with others.

2 comments:

Jeanette said...

I want to see your playlists! I would probably love them.

Nanette R. said...

Hmmm, maybe that is a Christmas idea! And something I might like from you and Russell's collection too! Teehee!