Thursday, November 11, 2010

30 Days of Thankfulness: Day Eleven

For Day Eleven, I am thankful for the sacrifice of others for my benefit.

Today is Veteran's Day, which got me to thinking about those who have given their lives and time to serve our country in the military. Some of my great uncles served in the two World Wars. My dad's brother Ted served in the Navy. Two of my cousins, David and Mary, have served in Iraq (Mary is still on active duty in Washington, DC). Daniel's grandfather, Dan Ryan, served in the Army during the Vietnam War. I have had friends from church who have served in recent years. Each of these people, as well as their families, sacrificed a great deal in order to go and serve and in some cases, fight in battles, so that I could live in the freedom of the United States of America. I am extremely thankful and humbled and need to do more to honor them throughout the year.

A friend of mine posted this on her Facebook page today: "Freedom is a free gift paid for in blood. So, if you value your freedom on earth, thank a veteran. And if you value your freedom in eternity, thank Christ." (I'm not sure if she was quoting someone or if those were her own words.) 

How true that not only have many men and women sacrificed their lives so that I could live in freedom here on earth, but the ultimate sacrifice was paid on the cross by my Savior, Jesus Christ. It is only by his death that I can live a life free from the bondage and the penalty of sin. It is only by his grace and mercy that I can live an abundant life during my days on this earth. I am again extremely thankful and humbled and need to honor and praise and obey Him more every day!

No comments: