Thursday, November 18, 2010

30 Days of Thankfulness: Day Eighteen

For Day Eighteen, I am thankful for food.

It's probably the most basic necessity of life, apart from water, and I have never in my life had to go without food. Ever. I don't know what it really feels like to be starving, although I'm sure that I have used that word to describe a temporary discomfort that I've felt in my stomach after having skipped a meal or something. But I have always had (more than) enough food for every day that I have been alive.

God's provision of my job, which gives me income, allows me to go to the store each week and buy the groceries we need. I have many times done this activity (chore) with a less than thankful attitude, but I have also had times when I have been leaving the store and was prompted by the Lord to breathe a quick prayer of thanksgiving for His provision. And I don't have to go out and grow my own vegetables or kill a chicken in order to put dinner on the table. This city girl is so thankful for that!

Lately, I have been working on taking the focus off of food in my life (dieting, overindulging) and have been trying to focus more on the One who gives me food. And I'm learning that it's not as much about getting my stomach full as it is about having all of my needs met. Not just physical needs, like hunger, but emotional needs and spiritual needs. The only One who can meet those needs is Jesus. And I'm thankful that He promises to always do just that.

No comments: