Friday, February 14, 2014

Friday Favorites: Valentine's Day


I have said it before on this blog, but I really love Valentine's Day! I realize how much the greeting card and candy companies (among many others) capitalize on the romance aspect of the holiday, but my reasons for loving February 14 go deeper than sappy sentiment.

So here are my Top Ten Reasons Why I Love Valentine's Day:

10. I got engaged on Valentine's Day back in 1991.

9. I am a February Baby, so naturally, I love things that happen this month.

8. I love to make and send personal cards and notes to my family and friends.

7. I love the colors that are associated with Valentine's Day:  Red and Pink

6. I love candy. And I like that candy is 50-75% off the day after Valentine's Day!

5. I think it's fun to buy/make/eat heart-shaped pizza and other foods.


Tonight's dinner, ready to go in the oven!



4. It warms my heart to hear about the ways that others share their love on this day. From special doughnut breakfasts to singing telegrams, those stories always make me smile.

3. I love getting to spend time with my nieces on Valentine's Day while their parents go on a date. Tonight we're having a Valentine's Sleep-over at Aunt Nette's (heart-shaped pizza is on the menu)!

2. The first time I felt my baby flutter inside me happened on Valentine's Day.

1. My parents, especially my dad, gave me such a great example of saying "I love you" all year long, and he always made sure that Valentine's Day was special in our house.

This morning, Mom and I were remembering how thoughtful Dad was to his girls on Valentine's Day. There was always a little treat and handmade card waiting for us at our breakfast plate. She commented that he usually stayed up late to make our cards after we'd been to bed (including herself). I smile when I think of those little cut-out hearts with simple words of love written on them. It didn't take an elaborate gift for me to grow up knowing that I was loved and cherished by my dad and mom.

This morning in the devotional book, Jesus Calling, by Sarah Young, one of the verses to read was Isaiah 41:13:

"For I, the Lord your God,
    hold your right hand;
it is I who say to you, 'Fear not,
    I am the one who helps you.'"

It was a sweet reminder that even though I could be bitter about some things in my life on Valentine's Day, God has always been holding my hand and shows me that His love is greater and deeper than anything this earth has to offer!

No comments: