Friday, March 29, 2013

Why Good Friday is Good

I knew I wanted to try to express why I don't feel despair on the day that we, as Christians, remember Christ's death. I definitely don't want to minimize what Christ did on the cross that day long ago. He died an agonizing death, one that I can't even fathom due to my lack of experience with dying and my lack of cultural reference as a woman living in the 21st century.

I probably have wondered for most of my life why this day is called "Good Friday." And I'm sure I've gotten it answered in my mind before, too. Thankfully, I opened the blog "Heavenward," by Scotty Smith today and found a solid answer to my question and validation for why I can celebrate, even on this day, two days before Resurrection Day.

I encourage you to click over and read what Scotty Smith wrote, because he put it into very understandable terms.

This is what my heart is singing today in chorus with Scotty's prayer:
"Lord Jesus, no one could ever take your life from you, and I could never find life on my own. Because you were fully forsaken, I am forever forgiven. Because you exhausted God’s judgment against my foul sin, I now live by the gift of your perfect righteousness. Hallelujah! Hallelujah! Hallelujah! So very Amen I pray, in your all-glorious, all-gracious name."
Thank you, Jesus! I don't have to wait until Sunday to say, "He is alive!"

No comments: