Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Dessert-of-the-Month: September



I made Russell's dessert for the month a couple of weeks ago, but I am squeaking in here at the end of the month to blog about it. It's still September for two more days, though!

Back when we were brainstorming ideas for the year of desserts, Russell made a sweet request for September, in honor of his wonderful wife, since her birthday falls in that month. He knew that her favorite birthday dessert (usually) is a Strawberry Cake that our mom has made for many years. I ended up making the cake for Jeanette's birthday this year, and oddly enough, she didn't ask for that cake (she wanted a caramel cake)! I waited a week or so after Jeanette's birthday, to spread the cake wealth a bit.

Around the same time that I was planning to make the strawberry cake, I saw this post on a friend's blog (she is the one I "borrowed" the whole dessert-of-the-month idea from in the first place, too). As I compared her recipe for strawberry cake with my mom's the cake parts were basically the same, but the icings were different. Also, she recommended making them as cupcakes, which I thought might be a fun idea (and also allowed me to share some of the cupcakes with some friends). I decided to try the strawberry cream cheese icing recipe and used my mom's recipe for the cake part. They turned out yummy, so I hear!

Here's Mom's recipe and you can find the alternate recipes on the other blog:

Strawberry Cake

1 box white cake mix
1 small box strawberry Jello
3 eggs
1/2 c. oil
1/2 c. water
1/2 c. chopped strawberries.

Mix first 5 ingredients for 5 minutes on medium. Add strawberries. Put in pan(s) and bake at 350 degrees for approximately 30 minutes (follow directions on cake mix for using different type pans).

For the icing Mom uses:
1 bag confectioners sugar
1 stick margarine
1/2 c. chopped strawberries

Mix together the ingredients, adding more sugar if needed. It is not a thick icing.

No comments: