Saturday, July 2, 2011

Suave Sixteen



Daniel is sixteen years old today! I'm not even going to get all into the reasons why that seems impossible. He is so much fun to be around, and also has such insight into things going on around him. I know I'm very biased, but he's my favorite guy!

While we will be celebrating Daniel's birthday with gusto, it's a little bit anticlimactic for a few reasons. First of all, I was trying to get Daniel to give me some ideas about how he'd like to celebrate his birthday in a special way this year, he told me that it's not like he'll have a "Sweet Sixteen" party like girls have. So a couple of days later, I coined the term, "Suave Sixteen" in an attempt to find the male counterpart. I don't know if it will catch on, but I did notice that Daniel himself used that term in his Facebook post tonight.

Another reason why the excitement over turning sixteen is a tad bit diminished is because Daniel will not be getting his driver's license right away. He seems to be OK with it, but I remember that I wouldn't have it any other way than going to take my driver's test on my actual birthday when I turned seventeen (the driving age in NJ, where I grew up). Since Daniel didn't get his learner's permit until March and has to have it for 180 days before he can take the road test, he'll have to wait until sometime in September to become a licensed driver.

The last reason why Daniel's actual birthday is anticlimactic is that most of his friends are out of town this weekend (holiday weekend), so we'll wait and have his party with friends in a couple of weeks. Again, Daniel's fine with that and will get to do some other fun stuff on his actual birthday (U2 concert at Vandy--hello!).

All that adds up to me having one of the most awesome kids in the universe! Happy Birthday, Daniel!

No comments: