Saturday, July 30, 2011

Gen X

What a relief!!! I'm a Gen X-er!!! I noticed an article on The Tennessean website about Gen X-ers turning 40 and that got me to wondering if I had "made the cut" in the Generation X. For a while there, people born in the late 1960s, such as myself, were kind of in limbo, not really counted as "Baby Boomers" (too young, thank you very much), but kind of classified as "Baby Busters" (say what?).

I decided to do a little research and found out, via Wikipedia (don't judge, it can be reliable information) that indeed people born between the years of 1964 and 1980-81 are counted among those in Generation X, and I fall well within that range.

I'm sure I'd be glad to pick and choose which characteristics of Gen X-ers that I'd like to be associated with, but at least for now a) I don't feel so old and b) I feel a little more trendy and relevant! And I agree that 40 isn't as old as it used to be (to quote the article in The Tennessean).

By the way, I think I know more than I let on about pop culture and current events. The other day I didn't "get" a reference to a Will Ferrell line from a movie, and my response to the person was that I wasn't that "up" on Will Ferrell (not a bad thing, in my opinion). I was asked what am I "up" on and my answer was, "Anything that shows up on my Yahoo homepage."

OK, I think I'll go listen to some 80s music now!

No comments: