Monday, May 16, 2011

2011 Scripture Memory #10

Do you ever read a scripture passage or a verse one day and then in the next couple of days, you keep seeing it in other places? Kind of like layering. When that happens to me, I have finally come to realize that the verse must be something I need to pay attention to. This is why I am choosing these verses for my next scripture to put in my mind.

"Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you." James 4:7, NIV

The other day, I came across this verse while reading my favorite devotional book, Jesus Calling. Then this morning when I was preparing the weekly prayer email for our church, this verse was part of the focal passage for the week.

I'm hoping that this verse will help me resist temptation when I am wanting to over-indulge in sweets or other foods that I need to be more self-controlled about. I also have been thinking of this verse, along with the verse surrounding it, as some good verses to pray for my son and share with him as he continues to grow up and gain more independence. It gives a good list of things to remember as we seek to honor and follow God in our lives.

No comments: