Saturday, May 1, 2010

A different rainy day story

I'm not gonna rip off any children's books this week. I just thought I'd tell you about my mini-adventure on the way home from getting my hair cut today.

I was turned out of the Nipper's Corner shopping center (the one with Las Palmas and Jon Alan Salon) onto Edmondson Pike. I didn't get very far before there was a little floody place, near the Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market. I got through it without a problem and headed to the library. I didn't really want to get out of the car in the pouring rain, but I wanted my book that was on hold, so I decided to make the stop.

After I came out of the library to head on down Edmondson Pike toward home, I had to drive through another small floody spot and then as I came up to the light at McMurray, where I would turn to go home, there was a van with the flashers on in the left lane. I pulled up next to it and asked if they needed help. Before I knew it, I was taking two strangers (men) to get some gas in their gas can so they could try to restart their car (they thought it was flooded out from driving through a big puddle).

Now, before anyone thinks I've "lost my sense" (direct quote from my sister, who lovingly expressed her concern after hearing my story), I don't normally do something like this. I might offer to make a phone call, but I would not usually just let two strangers into my car. But for some reason today, I went ahead and decided to help. So, we drove toward Nolensville Road to go to the gas station, coming up on several other floody spots in the road, all still passable. Once we got almost to the intersection where the gas stations are, there was a bigger floody spot and we could see it wasn't passable. Thankfully, I could cut through a shopping center parking lot and get close to the corner to let the guys out so they could go get the gas.

While they were gone, I called my parents to let them know what I was up to (notice I didn't call my sister, knowing she would worry), and then prayed for the whole situation, which weather-wise, was getting worse and there were lots of emergency vehicles and traffic tie-ups, and it was still raining cats and dogs. The two guys finally got back to the car, soaking wet, and we headed back down Edmondson Pike to their van. They were very appreciative for the help I gave them and even offered to mow my lawn (not today) or pay me for my time. I declined their offers, saying that I had been helped when I was in a disabled car before and just asked them to do something for someone else when they get the chance some day.

After I dropped them back at their van, I made my way home, going a little different route to avoid more flooding. I was thankful that God protected me during my "good samaritan" act, but I was also thankful that I had the opportunity to do it. There were other real heroes out there today, helping rescue people who were stuck in cars and homes due to the flooding. Sometimes we just have to step out of our comfort zone and help someone in need.

No comments: