Saturday, April 17, 2010

The scale is NOT my friend



If a scale was on Facebook and requested that I be its friend, I would IGNORE, IGNORE, IGNORE! I might even BLOCK it from ever asking me again!

I have had an almost life-long struggle with my weight. Sometimes I've lived in denial and just let myself eat whatever I wanted, and didn't worry about the results or consequences. At other times, I've been successful at losing weight and even at maintaining a healthy weight for fairly long stretches of time.

Lately, though, or maybe for longer than I realize, I've been having a reeeaaallly hard time losing weight, even though I do all the "right" things. If you know me well, you know that I go to a really intense exercise class three or four times a week. And I've been using walking as exercise for many years. Then there's the food factor. I know what to eat and how much of it to eat, and know that I'm more successful when I journal my food intake. So I've been doing that gain faithfully for a few weeks now, since I have someone who is holding me accountable and reading over it for me.

So my question is, Why does my body keep betraying me? Why does the scale only do what it wants to do? (OK, I just realized that was two questions.) When I weighed in this morning, I had gained back the two pounds that were "gone" at last week's weigh-in, so my "official" total weight lost since the end of March is only ONE pound. Very frustrating!

I know that there are lots of factors that come into play: hormones, age, metabolism, the fact that I don't have a thyroid (but take medicine to give my body what it is missing). So I'm trying not to be too hard on myself or get (too) discouraged. And I'll try to resist going to get a DQ Blizzard to drown my sorrows! But I can't be held responsible if the scale goes missing, either.

2 comments:

Lorie said...

I know exactly how you feel. I've also struggled with my weight all my life. Now I look at pictures from the past & realize I wasn't THAT bad. Unfortunately, I think my mom has led me to believe that I've always been heavier than I really was. Maybe I wasn't as skinny as the other girls but I was alright. Now look at me. I'm much heavier than I've ever been & weigh well over 200. It's difficult to find the time to get in the amount of exercise I'm going to need to get this off. I think my metabolism is shot & I don't know how to give it a good boost. Maybe we should commit to pray for each other in this area.

Nanette R. said...

Thanks for your comment, Lorie. I will commit to pray for you, and appreciate your prayers for me. I know we can do what it takes to have a healthy body weight and image, with God's help and strength!