Monday, May 28, 2018

100 Days to Brave

100 Days to Brave is a devotion book by Annie F. Downs and I've decided to start it today, along with others on Instagram under the hashtag #100DaystoBraveSummer.

The book's subtitle is "Devotions for Unlocking Your Most Courageous Self." In full disclosure, I already think of myself as a somewhat courageous or brave person. This isn't because I don't have fears or act out of fear sometimes, but I think of myself as courageous because I have been facing my fears and walking bravely for many years. This has been out of necessity and circumstance and I've only done it by faith in God and by his mercy and grace.

The reason I think this book is compelling and the timing is good for me to start reading and following along is because I am in a place of waiting and contemplating. I recently sold my house where I lived for over 20 years. I haven't found my new place to live yet, so I'm staying with friends who have generously given me space in their home. Last year, my only son graduated from college and is thriving as a young adult out in the world. I am feeling unhindered and have a world of possibilities in front of me, a 51-year-old single woman. I want to live with my hands and heart and mind open to what God has for me and to do that courageously and bravely . . . maybe even having to face fears and trust God more than I ever have before.

So, here I go!

The verse for Day 1 of 100 Days to Brave is from Isaiah 41:
"For I am the Lord your God who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you" (Isaiah 41:13, NIV)

I wish I knew how many times this verse in Isaiah has spoken deep into my soul and has comforted me. It is too many times to count on all my fingers and toes, I'm sure of that! The first time I remember it speaking so profoundly to me was on the night that I knew my marriage was probably over. I went to my bedroom alone and got my Bible and turned to these verses in Isaiah (starting in verse 10).

I don't know if I was led there through a devotion I was reading or a Bible study lesson or simply by the Holy Spirit guiding me in that moment, but I read the words and found comfort for my heart, mind and soul in a very uncertain and scary time of my life. I already trusted God and I could believe that his words were (and are) true.

Since then, God has reminded me over and over again that he is holding me and helping me. I don't have to be afraid. I can be brave because he is with me and for me.

Yesterday at church we sang a favorite chorus of mine (written by Keith Green):

Thank you, oh my father
For giving us Your Son
And leaving Your Spirit
'Til the work on Earth is done.


No comments: