Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Ordinary day, extraordinary God

It's a gray day in Nashville and my mood is kind of gray as well. On my way to work, I was praying/thinking about my day ahead and my mood and asked God to change my heart and to make me glad and joyful. I asked God to let me see his work today.

It is an ordinary day at the office. Tasks to get done, people passing by my desk, phone calls coming in. But God is doing extraordinary things and he allowed me to see some of it today.

Some lights were needing to be repaired in a couple of offices and the electricians came to fix them. As one of the guys was passing by my desk on his way out to pick up a part, I commented about a small stack of worship CDs he had in his hand.

"Are you going to listen to some music?" I asked.
"Yes," he said, "and I'm going to India on a mission trip and I'm going to take some to the pastors there."

Skreech. Ordinary turned to extraordinary as we listened to the electrician tell about how he and his wife had been saving money for a new house, but felt called to use that money and to use all of his vacation time to travel to India to do whatever was needed in the region where they have some contacts.

"I'm not a preacher," the electrician said. "In fact, as of Monday, that guy out there (pointing to his coworker out by the truck) is now a follower (of Christ), but I'm don't do that kind of thing all of the time.

This guy and his wife just want to go and serve alongside pastors and believers in India. They know that they might face opposition and that their travel could put them in danger. But they are choosing to trust our extraordinary God and go where he sends them.

"I guess I'm kind of like Barnabas," he said. "I just want to go where God sends me."

After he left to go pick up the part he needed, I told my coworkers that I had needed to hear that today. I'm so thankful that God answered my prayer and had mercy on my grumbling, complaining, downcast-for-no-good-reason soul!

No comments: