Wednesday, February 26, 2014

A glimpse at humanity

I wish I had a picture of what I'm about to describe, but words will have to suffice.

I had to stop at Kroger on my way home from work, and as I was walking through the parking lot, I overheard two people who were legally parked in the handicapped parking spaces talking about a vehicle that was parked in the large space in-between their cars (which was not a legal space). In addition, the driver had left two dogs inside the SUV.

Understandably, the drivers of the other cars were upset, especially the guy on the right of the car in the middle, because it was parked pretty close to his driver's side door. As I passed by, one man was verbally taking down the license plate of the illegally-parked car.

I went on into the store and while I started my shopping I heard an announcement over the loud speaker asking for someone with such-and-such license plate to come to the customer service desk. I figured that would be the end of that and continued my shopping.

After I had finished in the store, I walked out to the parking lot and saw that two of the cars were gone, but the one in the middle was still there AND there were three overturned grocery carts blocking the car from pulling out of the not-really-a space.

About that time, I noticed a woman alongside me pushing a cart pretty slowly and it became apparent that her car was the one that was blocked in (with her dogs in the car). I didn't know what to do, since I had my arms full of grocery bags, but I hurried and placed the bags in the car and decided to go back to help her move the carts.

By the time I got back to her, she had moved the carts . . . into one of the handicapped parking spaces! I started moving toward the carts and she smiled at me while she was backing out of her spot. I tried to tell her that nobody would be able to park there (not to mention how hard it could be for people in wheelchairs or otherwise disabled to have to move those carts), but she didn't have a clue!

I determined to take the grocery carts back where they belonged and then went on my way, shaking my head at this "fine" glimpse of humanity that I had witnessed from all three people involved.

It was a clear case of two wrongs don't make a right!

No comments: