Monday, April 16, 2012

Hymn Monday: Jesus, I Am Resting, Resting

The first time I remember hearing/singing this old hymn was on a Wednesday night with friends at Christ Community Church in Franklin, TN. My friend, Cindy, had invited me and our friend, Robin, and our kids to come to her church for a mid-week service. I remember that we sang this hymn and it was so beautiful and peaceful.


Sometime later, after our family started attending Grace Community Church, it was sung in a worship service and has become a favorite of mine. This past weekend, it was used during the worship time at the Spring Women's Gathering (Topic:  "Be Still" from Exodus 14) and then was also a part of our Sunday morning worship. I love getting to sing a favorite song in corporate worship two times in one weekend!


I am in a season of life when I need to be purposefully resting. Not just physically, although that is important, but I need to rest my mind and rest my spirit and rest in Jesus.


Jesus I Am Resting, Resting

Jesus, I am resting, resting, in the joy of what Thou art;
I am finding out the greatness of Thy loving heart.
Thou hast bid me gaze upon Thee, and Thy beauty fills my soul,
For by Thy transforming power, Thou hast made me whole.

Refrain:
Jesus, I am resting, resting in the joy of what Thou art;
I am finding out the greatness of Thy loving heart.

O, how great Thy lovingkindness, vaster, broader than the sea!
O! how marvelous Thy goodness lavished all on me!
Yes, I rest in Thee, Beloved, know what wealth of grace is Thine,
Know Thy certainty of promise and have made it mine. (refrain)

Simply trusting Thee, Lord Jesus, I behold Thee as Thou art,
And Thy love, so pure, so changeless, satisfies my heart.
Satisfies its deepest longings, meets, supplies its every need,
Compasseth me round with blessings: Thine is love indeed! (refrain)

Ever lift Thy face upon me as I work and wait for Thee;
Resting ‘neath Thy smile, Lord Jesus, earth’s dark shadows flee.
Brightness of my Father’s glory, sunshine of my Father’s face,
Keep me ever trusting, resting, fill me with Thy grace. (refrain)




I hope that the words of this hymn will ring true in my heart, mind and soul and in yours as well.

1 comment:

Jeanette said...

Remember when I asked you to record that song on a tape over and over and over so I could listen to it on "repeat?" I was singing that on the track this afternoon because I saw it in Russell's bulletin!!!!