Friday, February 3, 2012

Birthday Letter

Because it's my birthday and I often received letters from my Dad on my birthday, I thought I'd write one to him today.

Dear Dad,

It's my first birthday without being able to hear you sing "Happy Birthday" to me. I kind of feel like you were probably singing it today, but I just couldn't hear you. It made me smile when Mom sang to me on the phone this morning, although I was also thinking about how her soprano voice sounded like it needed your baritone along with it. She told me what you would have said, that my parents love me and are proud of me and are thankful that I was born. You never let me forget that I was a much-wanted child and that the day I was born was a special day in your lives. As I told Mom this morning, thank you for having me!

While I couldn't hear your voice this morning, I heard loud and clear from my Lord in my devotional reading for today:

"I am with you and for you. You face nothing alone--nothing! When you feel anxious, know that you are focusing on the visible world and leaving Me out of the picture. The answer is simple:  Fix your eyes not on what is seen but on what is unseen. Verbalize your trust in Me, the Living One who sees you always. I will get you safely through this day and all your days. But you can find Me only in the present. Each day is a precious gift from My Father. How ridiculous to grasp for future gifts when today's is set before you! Receive today's gift gratefully, unwrapping it tenderly and delving into its depths. As you savor this gift, you find Me." (Jesus Calling, by Sarah Young, pg. 36)

Dad, I remember you telling me lots of times how you were "with me and for me" and I know you got that from the Bible. Lots of the scriptures that I know and love today were spoken and read to me by you throughout my life and I am so thankful for that gift that you gave me. You also gave me my introduction to Jesus and helped me grow to know and trust Him as my own Savior and Lord. Thank you for that as well!

Today has been a great day and there have been many precious gifts throughout the day:

  • I got to see a beautiful sunrise out of the windows at the Christ Church indoor track as I walk/jogged my two miles.
  • Starbuck's for breakfast and Jersey Mike's for lunch:  all for free!
  • Gifts and treats from co-workers and friends, as well as family.
  • Being serenaded with the birthday song via telephone, text and in person, from as far away as New York (Randel) and as close as my den (Daniel).
  • Having a visit from Jeanette and the girls during the morning at the office. Seeing Mary Lane "mosey" across the church lawn wearing her hot pink tu-tu, a pink scarf, with a paci in her mouth and a "Pebbles" ponytail on top of her head was priceless! Erica and Mary Lane both made themselves at home and could have probably taken over my work at the computer for me.
  • Hearing from over 100 friends/family via Facebook posts, emails, e-cards, texts, cards and phone calls. I have "felt the love" today.
I miss you, Dad, and I wish that I could celebrate my birthday with you, but that's not our reality. One way that you are with us as we celebrate is that tonight is the Strider's Club banquet at Tusculum Hills Baptist Church, where you used to walk miles around the track (and Mom still does). They will be paying tribute to you tonight, so our family will all attend.

Thanks for still being "for me" and for letting me know so often throughout my life that you loved me. There's no way I could ever forget it now!

I love YOU, Dad!

No comments: