Friday, September 23, 2011

Friday Favorites: Nashville

I don't know why I haven't thought of posting about this before, but it will be an appropriate topic for today, the day before the NASHVILLE Women's Half Marathon! I went downtown to the convention center to pick up my race packet last night and am so excited for tomorrow morning to get here. Hopefully I will be able to sleep tonight . . .

So, one of the things I'm excited about with this half marathon is that will take me through some of my favorite parts of the city. I have spent a lot of my time in the downtown area, either working at Lifeway or taking Daniel to school at Hume-Fogg. I'm a city girl, so I love getting to go to downtown Nashville often. The half marathon starts and ends downtown at the Country Music Hall of Fame at 4th Avenue and Demonbreun Avenue.


We'll go down by Centennial Park, where the Parthenon is located (or a replica).
And then we'll go over to Belmont Boulevard and go along that street with wonderful old homes and will swing by my alma mater.


Once we pass Belmont, we'll head down Music Row toward the Roundabout and say hello to the famous "naked statue" called "Musica."


Once we get back into the downtown area, we'll head across the Cumberland River and do a loop around LP Field, where the Tennessee Titans play. When I drove over by there the other day to get a feel for the last couple miles of the course, I got excited without any other people around, so I can imagine (and hope) that with all the spectators and race excitement on Saturday, it will help me to stay motivated to go across the Gateway Bridge and finish the last 1.1 miles of the race.


I have now lived in Nashville longer than I lived anyplace else, so even though I still have my East Coast/Yankee roots, I am proud to call this city my home.

No comments: