Saturday, June 4, 2011

Everything

Thursday and Friday were emotionally difficult days for me because of hard things that some friends and fellow church members are going through. I know it's not about me, AT ALL, and I am thankful that I have a job where I can serve people during times of sorrow and in times of joy, by praying and getting information out to others. I'm thankful that I work with people who will stop everything and reach out to those in need. I am thankful for the body of Christ that I get to see in action as they mobilize to bring comfort and care and meet practical needs. It's still emotionally draining, though, because I'm human and finite and lack the "big picture" perspective that God has.

The verses that kept running through my mind, along with a song that is based on them, were from Romans 11:33-36:

 "Oh, the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are His judgments and unfathomable His ways! For WHO HAS KNOWN THE MIND OF THE LORD, OR WHO BECAME HIS COUNSELOR? Or WHO HAS FIRST GIVEN TO HIM THAT IT MIGHT BE PAID BACK TO HIM AGAIN? For from Him and through Him and to Him are all things. To Him be the glory forever. Amen."

We sang the song at our Corporate Prayer & Worship service last Sunday night:

Everything

Unsearchable, His wisdom.
Untraceable, His ways.
Who can know the mind of the Lord Most High?
Who could ever give Him counsel?

Everything is from Him,
Everything is through Him,
Everything is to Him,
To Him be the glory
In everything.

The final chorus ends with "Forever and ever, Forever and ever, Amen."

I can't even begin to understand the whys and what fors about the things that happen in this world. But I pray that we will all be able to rest in the knowledge that God is sovereign and that He is Forever. And may He receive the glory through all the hard things and the easier things in my life and in the lives of my friends and family.

No comments: