Sunday, May 1, 2011

2011 Scripture Memory #9

Happy May to all! I don't know why exactly, but I love the month of May. I think I associate it with Spring and there are so many happy and fun events that take place in May:  Mother's Day, graduations, school's out (usually), Memorial Day, and my Granddaddy's birthday was May 12.

With it being the first of the month, that means it's time for the next scripture verse to think on/memorize. When I read Beth Moore's blog today, the verse she chose was familiar to me, although not in that particular translation. She chose Psalm 27:14 from the New Living Translation, and I like the use of the word "rely" as it relates to waiting.

But, since this verse has come up several many times for me in different devotional readings in the past year or so, even last week, I decided that I'd like to put this one in my memory bank. I am choosing to use the New American Standard Bible because of the use of the word, "wait."

"Wait for the LORD;
Be strong and let your heart take courage;
Yes, wait for the LORD."
Psalm 27:14, NASB

I like the word, "yes" in the last part. It's like the writer was saying, "It's OK, the Lord will show up and come through, just wait for Him (and rely on Him)." I also like how the directive to wait is repeated, to reinforce the message.

I've been thinking on the "waiting" theme for a while now and will probably do a blog post about it sometime. I think that waiting is an important part of the Christian life and for a while now, God has used this verse and others like it to give me comfort when I am anxious or just plain impatient. I love how God uses His word to bring comfort and gentle reminders of things that I (we) need to learn.

I hope that God brings lots of fun events to your life in the month of May, as I trust He will surely bring in mine. And I pray that this verse will bring you comfort when you are in a period of waiting, even if it's just for five minutes!

No comments: