Tuesday, April 19, 2011

2011 Scripture Memory #8

I'm a couple of days late, but I've been thinking about what scripture I want to focus on next. I think I've decided to give myself some grace and if I don't get all of these verses completely memorized word-for-word, I am at least spending time thinking on them and they do come to mind when I least except them to. It helps me to do as Paul encouraged in Philippians 4:8, "Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things."

As a quick aside, I memorized that verse a few years ago when I was doing a Bible study called "Conversation Peace" which is all about taming the tongue and speech (something I needed then and still have lessons to learn). The writer gave the acronym, PREPLANT, as a way to remember the list of things to think about (probably using the New International Version). I still remember them in that order:  pure, right, excellent, praiseworthy, lovely, admirable, noble, trustworthy.

Back to the verse I'm going to put in my mind and think on over the next two weeks. With it being Easter Week (or Holy Week), I wanted to find a verse that will help me to "preach the gospel to myself" any time of the year.

"For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures." 1 Corinthians 15:3-4, ESV

"Preaching the gospel to ourselves every day addresses both the self-righteous Pharisee and the guilt-laden sinner that dwell in our hearts. Since the gospel is only for sinners, preaching it to ourselves every day reminds us that we are indeed sinners in need of God’s grace. It causes us to say to God, in the words of an old hymn, ‘Nothing in my hands I bring, simply to thy cross I cling.’" (Jerry Bridges, The Disciple of Grace: God's Role and Our Role in the Pursuit of Holiness.)




May we never forget the wonderful gospel of Jesus Christ!

No comments: