Wednesday, March 2, 2011

2011 Scripture Memory #5

It's almost the third day of March and I realize that I have not posted my next scripture memory verse. One reason is that I am kind of struggling with this project and do not feel like I am making much progress. In other words, I doubt that I could successfully quote from memory any of the four verses that I previously posted. That's not good, but I'm trying to not be so hard on myself. I need to be diligent, but I also don't want to be legalistic about this either. God can and will use my efforts and the verses that I have chosen, regardless of my human failures.

That being said, here's the other reason that I did not post on the first day of March:  I was purposely waiting to post my verse to coincide with Ash Wednesday and the beginning of the season of Lent. I have known about Lent for most of my life, but since my denomination doesn't observe it in the traditional sense, I have never personally observed it before now. But I had decided that maybe that would be a meaningful thing for me to do as I contemplate the events leading up to Resurrection Sunday, so I was planning to give up something in my life and was going to start today, March 2. Except that Ash Wednesday 2011 is not until NEXT week, March 9. That's right. My first time observing Lent and I got the date wrong!

So, without further ado, here is the verse I have chosen to truly memorize over the next two weeks:

"For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline." 2 Timothy 1:7, New International Version

I personally need the Spirit of God to continually give me power, love and self-discipline in my life and I need the reminder that He does this faithfully.

No comments: