Monday, November 1, 2010

30 Days of Thankfulness: Day One

I woke up this morning, excited about a new month, and soon had the idea to blog each day about something I am thankful for in my life. One of my favorite scripture passages is "Rejoice always; pray without ceasing; in everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus" (1 Thess. 5:16-18).With the Thanksgiving holiday coming up later this month, it makes it an obvious choice of a time to do this little project, but I will say that having an "attitude of gratitude" is a good way to live 365 days a year.

So, for Day One of 30 Days of Thankfulness, I am thankful for Jesus Christ.

I have known about Jesus since I was a very young child. I'm told that I used to go around the house singing, "Jesus, Jesus, Jesus, sweetest name I know . . .," and I accepted Him as my Savior and was baptized when I was eight years old. As I grew up, I continued to grow in my relationship with Christ, but it was a slow process and I was not always very committed to becoming more like Him. Over the years, Jesus has become more and more precious to me. As I have come to understand more about what He did for me on the cross, how helpless in my sin I was and how amazing His grace, I have grown into a deeper and deeper relationship with Jesus and cannot imagine living life without my faith in Him.

So now, in November 2010, as a 40-something-year-old woman who has been a follower of Christ for most of her life, this is why I am so thankful for Jesus:
  • He's my Constant Companion
  • He's my Best Friend
  • He's my Continual Presence (Immanuel, God with Us)
  • He's the Lover of my soul
  • He is the culmination of all of my hopes and dreams
  • Jesus is The Way, The Truth and The Life
  • He is my Savior, my Redeemer
  • He is my Provider, my Protector
  • He is my Sustainer, my Satisfaction
  • Jesus is the One Who knows me
  • He is the One Who intercedes for me.
  • Jesus completes me!
(Most of the above list was compiled through contemplating the devotional readings in Jesus Calling, by Sarah Young. It has been a life-changing book for me and has helped me to grow deeper in my relationship with Jesus.)

Thank you, Lord!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen! Thank you, Nanette, for this blog of thankfulness!
Barbara T.

Leanne said...

Love it! Thanks for sharing. I actually started something similar in my prayer journal yesterday...we are sister-friends aren't we! :-)