Wednesday, November 3, 2010

30 Days of Thankfulness: Day Three

For Day Three, I am thankful for God's Grace.

Like I wrote about on Day One, I have known about Jesus for most of my life, but it wasn't until I was faced with the reality of my sin that I began to have a real understanding of what grace is. When I accepted Jesus as my Savior as a child, I think I knew I was a sinner and understood that Jesus had died on the cross to save me from my sins, but I still thought that I hadn't done anything "that" bad.

After growing up and experiencing hard things in my life, and spending a lot of time comparing my sin to the sins of others around me (which I often saw as "worse" than mine), God brought me to the realization that "by grace (I) have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not as a result of works, so that no one may boast" (Ephesians 2:8-9) and that "(His) grace is sufficient for (me), for power is perfected in weakness . Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me" (2 Corinthians 12:9).

I am thankful that today, I have a deeper understanding of God's grace because I have seen that my own sinfulness is just as grievous to Him as the sins of others around me. And I'm also so thankful that I can accept God's grace and forgiveness because of what Christ did for me on the cross.

One of my favorite songs that we sing at church describes how I feel about God's grace:

Your Grace Astounds Me

In the still of this sanctuary,
Lord, Your light is more than I can bear.
I must come in the way You require,
Holy and pure.

I am humbled, for I am just mortal,
And there’s nothing in me that is good.
Yet You cover me with Your perfection -
With Your own blood.

You have done all that Your law demands,
With Your outstretched arms,
You have stayed Your own hand.
So I stand, safe on this holy ground,
God, Your grace astounds me,
God, Your grace astounds me!

I am blessed with the greatest of privilege,
Justified in the presence of God.
If I strived all my days to attain it,
I could not. (chorus)

Words and music by Jeff Bourque and Wendy Wills
©2008 Manicotti Music / Schparkenmusik. All rights reserved.

No comments: