Saturday, September 11, 2010

I remember . . . 9/11/2001

On this ninth anniversary of the terrorist attacks on the U.S. on September 11, 2001, I have lots of thoughts flooding through my mind. One thought was whether those who were alive back then ever be able to forget where they were when they heard the news, or be able to erase the images from our minds. I have to admit, I was about to get up on my judgemental high horse and say, "How could we ever forget?"

But then, I looked back to see what I might have written on this blog on past anniversaries of 9/11, and you know what? I didn't write anything! I am almost ashamed to say that last year, I wrote a post on September 11th that was totally self-absorbed (about my struggle with not eating sugar). My word!

The other side of the argument, in my head, is that yes, we want and need to remember the events of nine years ago, but we also have had to move forward, both as a country and as individuals. Easier said than done for those who lost loved ones or who lived and worked in the areas that were literally attacked that day. So while I don't ever want to forget how I felt and what I saw on TV, I pray that all of us, especially the ones most closely affected by the tragedy, will have new memories to bring up this year, memories of healing and forgiveness, of things that God has done to renew, restore and bring beauty from the ashes.

I grew up just across the river from the World Trade Center, so the images from New York on 9/11/01 and afterward made the most impact on me personally. I still miss seeing the Twin Towers in the skyline and wish that I could take Daniel (and others) up to the top of the World Trade Center to see the view. Although I've been back to NYC since 2001, I have not been to see any of the memorials and I hope I can do that one day.

For today, though, I'll take some time to think back on what I remember from that day and will think about the people who lost lives and loved ones in the World Trade Center, the Pentagon and in the field in Pennsylvania. I will also praise my God, who long before the events of 2001, sent His Son to be the Healer of the brokenhearted (Isaiah 61:1-4).

No comments: