Wednesday, June 16, 2010

The great debate

A huge debate has ensued between me and my strong-willed son. It's not about whether he can stay out past 10:00 at night or about who is the best baseball player of all time. No, this debate is more complex than that. It's all about the Punch Bug Game.

You know, the one you play when you're driving around town and you see a Volkswagen Bug and then punch the person riding with you who didn't see it first. Well, "back when I was a kid" the rules were that it had to be an actual Bug, not any other model of Volkswagen. Apparently, the rules have been changed. Or bent. Considerably.

There have been some VW commercials running lately that have various people playing the game whenever they see any type of VW model. So that has become the basis for Daniel's argument. And he is determined that his way is the "right" way to play the game.

I have informed him that I am a "Punch Bug Purist." I will only be on the look-out for VW Bugs of every color under the sun, even those older "vintage" models that he has trouble identifying, or believing that they are Bugs. And if the response to my recent Facebook status post about this subject is any indication, Daniel better watch out for a whole slew of other Punch Bug Purists who might not be as forgiving of his errant punches!

No comments: