Thursday, May 27, 2010

Summer reading

Today was Daniel's last day of ninth grade, so it's officially summer break at our house! Of course, my ever-conscientious son had me take him to Borders yesterday (yes, the day before school was out) to buy books he needs for his summer reading. He's not too excited about all the work he has to do over the summer, but I bought him a "fun" book too, so that helped.

One of the books that Daniel has to read was on a table marked, "Buy One, Get One 50% Off." Well, that's all the encouragement I needed. I looked around on the table to see if there was a book I might like that I could get for half price. After some quick deliberation (because it was supposed to be a short trip to Borders, if there is such a thing), I impulsively bought two books to start off my own summer reading. I actually felt guilty about my purchases when I woke up this morning, not because I had gotten some steamy "chick lit", but because I have a hard time spending money on books. I usually just write down the titles of books that catch my eye and then check them out from the library. But this time, I decided to keep them. Maybe I'll sell them later. And if you're doing the math, the fourth book that we got in the BOGO deal was the "treat" book I got for Daniel

So, without further ado, here are the titles I selected:

1. The Girls from Ames: A Story of Women and a Forty-year Friendship, by Jeffrey Zaslow



2. Summer at Tiffany, by Marjorie Hart


If you've read either of these books, I'd love to know what you thought. And I'd also love to hear about the books that you're planning to read this summer.

No comments: