Sunday, March 14, 2010

In need . . .

I am thankful that I was able to participate in a prayer and worship time for our friends, Emmett and Wendy Stallings, on Saturday night. Emmett is fighting cancer and you can read more about his story here.

I hardly have words to describe the experience, because I felt like it was a sacred, special time that only God could have orchestrated. It was originally planned to be held at the home of some friends, but on Saturday, Wendy and Emmett decided that they would be OK to have everyone in their home (knowing that they weren't required to have any "host" responsibilities). Having Emmett present made the prayer and worship time that much sweeter.

When we began our time of worship, Emmett was in his bedroom, and I assumed that he was not up to getting out of bed, but would be able to hear the music and know that we were there praying for him out in the living room. After we had sung a few songs and lifted up some prayers, Jeff began leading us in singing, "In Need". As we began to sing, I looked over and saw Wendy helping Emmett walk out to the living room to join us. Again, I hardly have words to describe those moments, but to be singing the prayer of those lyrics and seeing Emmett, in such deep need, it touched me deeply.

Here are the words to the song. It is my prayer for Emmett, and for all of us, who are in need of Christ.

In need of grace.
In need of love.
In need of mercy raining down
From high above.
In need of strength.
In need of peace.
In need of things
That only You can give to me.

In need of Christ, the perfect Lamb,
My refuge strong, the Great I AM.
This is my song, my humble plea,
I am your child, I am in need.

(Copyright 1996, Ross King)

No comments: