Saturday, November 21, 2009

So glad I didn't miss it!

Last night was Daniel's fall band concert at Hume-Fogg. He played snare drum in three or four of the songs done by the concert band, and then there were other ensembles and bands on the program. After a typically busy Friday, and rushing to get downtown to the concert, and sitting in a darkened auditorium, I could have been easily convinced to go home after the portion of the concert that Daniel played in (except that I was his ride home and he had to stay). Just saying what my "druthers" would have been if the circumstances would have allowed.

But, oh what I would have missed if I had left early! As part of the concert, HFA hosted the symphonic band from the Chattanooga School for the Arts & Sciences, in a reciprocal program. They played four songs, the final one being an arrangement of "Amazing Grace". The selection of that song in the repertoire was awesome enough, being in a public school concert, but right before the last stanza, the back doors of the auditorium opened and in marched a bagpipe player (who happened to be the arranger of the piece, a Nashvillian named Jay Dawson) adding a spectacular, standing ovation-inspiring ending to that part of the concert.

I was still tired and ready for bed when we got home after 10:00 last night, but I am so glad I didn't miss all that the concert had to offer!!

No comments: