Friday, November 6, 2009

In a NY state of mind


Lately I've been having a desire to go to NYC. There are a few factors that have contributed to this and I can't seem to get it out of my mind.

First, just in case someone reading this doesn't know that I spent most of my growing up years living 15 miles from Manhattan, it's not that I'm wanting to go visit someplace I've never been before. I recently had the realization that it has been four years since I was there, and I miss it.

Secondly, with the Yankees being in (and now having WON) the World Series, New York kept getting into my radar. I'm not one who watches baseball all season long, mainly because I have a lot of other things taking up my time, but when the play-offs start and then it's time for the World Series, I just get in a baseball mood. It doesn't hurt when one of the NY teams is playing . . . makes it more interesting for me. And for a random fact: my high school marching band had the honor of playing the National Anthem for at least one Yankees game and so I, as a distinguished member of the color guard, got to twirl my flag in the outfield, as well as stand at attention during the song.

The third factor that is making me want to go to NYC is the upcoming holiday season. Christmas in NY is just plain fun. From the Christmas tree in Rockefeller Center to the decked out department store windows to the Empire State Building lit up in red and green lights, I love experiencing Christmastime in the City. When I was a little girl, our family used to go see the Rockettes at Radio City Music Hall and for many years had a tradition of going into NYC on "Christmas Eve Eve" to see the sights.



I don't know if I'll get up there this year, but if anyone wants to get a group trip together, I'll be the tour guide!

2 comments:

Its Lainee said...

Aww, now I'm really sad. I love to go to NY the first week in December for an annual meeting, but can't go this year--WAAA! Maybe we can plan a girl trip one of these days :)

Nanette R. said...

Just say when, Elaine, but of course, we'd have to work around your jet-setting world travel schedule! :-)