Saturday, January 3, 2009

Riding on Jay's coattails

My good friend, Jay, recently wrote about a trip to the post office that I could really relate to. My common experience usually happens at the Kroger or Wal-Mart on Nolensville Road (pick one, since there are at least two of each store on that road). It involves having entire families (I'm talking generations here) going shopping together and taking their sweet time in the aisles and check-out lines. In fact, the other day, I was behind a few generations of one family in line at Wal-Mart and after the slowest cashier in the world (bless her heart), got them all checked out, the last two women decided it was a good time to cash a check!!!! Whatever!

Well, now I have another "favorite" errand place to add to the list of post office, Wal-Mart and Kroger. It's the cheap-o dry cleaners on Nolensville Road. I'm not exaggerating when I say that every time I go in there with my one or two items to drop off (or to pick up said items), I always get in line behind someone who has brought in every stitch of clothing that they are not currently wearing! Here I am with my measly pair of pants and a skirt and I have to wait while they empty garbage bag upon garbage bag onto the counter and the clerk has to painstakenly count each one and make sure nothing is hooked to anything else, and then write out the ticket, and then they have to pay . . . you get the idea. It doesn't matter if it's early in the morning, or closing time, I always have a knack for walking up just as the person with the most laundry in the world gets there. I even now have a habit of looking around in the parking lot when I am pulling in to see if I need to make a break for the door to try to beat that person to the counter. I haven't managed to do that yet, but I'll keep trying!

Whew, that feels so much better to get all that off my chest tonight! :-)

1 comment:

Katie Thompson said...

Now I have a picture in my head of you racing someone to the door of the dry cleaners! I'm not familiar enough with your competitive side to think of this without major laughing!!!