Saturday, December 27, 2008

After Christmas

The days after Christmas can sometimes be kind of a let-down after so much activity. I especially feel this on the years when Daniel leaves to go to his dad's house on Christmas afternoon through New Year's Day afternoon. But, I have decided to make a conscious effort to "choose joy" and to look for ways to spend the time doing things that make me happy.

Here are some of the things I like to do over the Christmas holidays, after the gifts are opened and the hubbub has died down:

  • Sit in the living room by the Christmas tree and read a Christmas novel. Right now, I'm reading A Christmas Visitor, one of the Cape Light Christmas books by Thomas Kinkade and Catherine Spencer. Some of my other favorites are: Shepherds Abiding by Jan Karon, Finding Father Christmas and Engaging Father Christmas by Robin Jones Gunn, The Christmas Box by Richard Paul Evans
  • Add new Christmas pictures to my scrapbook (that usually doesn't happen until later in January)
  • Play board games with my family (some of our faves are Trivial Pursuit, Scrabble, Mexican Train Dominoes, Phase 10, Uno)
  • Go back through Christmas cards that we received (and go read the Christmas cards/letters that my parents received at their house from long-time family friends)

What are some of your favorite things to do over the Christmas holidays? What books do you like to read at this time of year? If your family likes to play games, what are your tried-and-true favorites? What are some ways that you choose joy at this time of year?

2 comments:

Its Lainee said...

I like to read the stack of Christmas cards; go buy a new Moleskine journal and get it ready for the new year; choose 12 books for the new year (which usually includes those I didn't finish the year before).

Katie Thompson said...

That's funny, Elaine! Apparently we like to stay up and sleep in late after Christmas. Our schedule is so out of whack!
I've been reading for hours at a time and generally doing nothing. My days are numbered, though!
See you Wednesday!!!