Saturday, December 6, 2008

Advent: Day Six

Today's ornament is a ladder, representing the story of Jacob's dream of a ladder reaching from earth to heaven. The story is found in Genesis 27:41-28:22 and is about when Jacob left his home to go live with his uncle, Laban, because his brother, Esau, was out to kill him. Jacob was all alone, running from danger, and I would imagine, wasn't feeling to good about himself. In his dream, God was a the top of the ladder and Jacob was at the bottom. "The ladder was a symbol that Jacob was not far from the arms of God." (p.32)

Sometimes, I feel like Jacob. I feel alone (even in a crowd), overwhelmed, and basically, weak. I don't like that feeling and try everything I can think of to get out from under it. Today was that kind of day. I had lots of things I was trying to do and was coming up short in the strength department. But, thankfully, God reminded me that His grace is sufficient for me, and that His power is made perfect in my weakness (2 Cor. 12: 9). I am so thankful that in God's great love and tenderness towards Jacob, me and everyone, He gave us Jesus to bridge the gap between heaven and earth, strong and weak, Holy One and sinners.

No comments: