Sunday, December 7, 2008

Advent: Day Seven


Today's ornament is Joseph's Coat of Many Colors. I have come to love the story of Joseph because it is such a great reminder of God's sovereignty and faithful provision. The whole story spans much of the last 13 chapters of Genesis (37-50) and takes Joseph from being a bragging, spoiled teenager, to a powerful, respected leader who ends up showing grace to his brothers and being who God used to save the nation of Isreal.

It's mind-boggling to think that the circumstances that Joseph had to endure (being sold into slavery, being wrongly accused and thrown into jail) were God's sovereign plan to get the Isrealites to Egypt so that they could be delivered generations later. But, in God's great plan, He allowed all these things to happen, and many other circumstances in our own lives, to bring glory to Himself and bring us to a deeper and stronger faith.

What I am completely amazed about (but not surprised) today is how this day's devotion and the sermon, "From Fear to Faith", about the Isrealites crossing the Red Sea (from Exodus 14), all came together to bring home this reminder about God's sovereignty and faithfulness.

God is so good and I just want to keep on walking on this journey with Him!

3 comments:

Katie Thompson said...

I made that :)

Nanette R. said...

Thanks for telling me! I didn't keep a list from that set of ornaments and I have wished I knew who made each one! We probably hardly knew each other then!

Katie Thompson said...

Ooh, that's weird to think about. I guess there was a time when we just passed in the hall. Glad those days are gone!!