Friday, December 5, 2008

Advent: Day Five

The symbol for Day Five is a lamb and the story is told from Genesis 22 about Abraham taking Isaac to sacrifice him as an act of faith and obedience. God provided a ram as a subsitute so that Isaac did not have to die. This was a foretelling of what God would provide as a subsitute for us: His Son, Jesus.

I love the name for God that comes from this passage: Jehovah-Jirah, which means, "The Lord will provide." This has come to have such personal meaning for me as I have seen God's provision in my life. I am so thankful to God for providing the Lamb that took away my sins and for providing the Holy Spirit to dwell with me and guide me as I live my life.

"Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world." John 1:29b

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

These are so good for me. This year we just weren't going to do our tree because of time, little baby, etc. But I get to read your blog every day and see the ornaments! Fun! We will do the tree with Erica in older years. Love you!