Sunday, July 6, 2008

Thoughts I'm pondering

I don't usually take time to really let people inside my head, but here are a few things that I'm pondering and will be watching to see how God uses these various experiences to grow me this summer.

First, I am doing the Beth Moore Bible study called, Stepping Up, this summer. It's a journey through the Psalms of Ascent (Psalm 120 - Psalm 134), with an expectation of moving up to the next thing God has for us, into a deeper relationship with Him. Beth challenged us to "go someplace we've never been" and to take steps of faith in this study. I'm committed to doing that and have been experiencing some really practical application in my studying and relating to God so far.

Second, today in Sunday School, John Kramp taught from Acts 10, about Peter obeying God by going to the Roman Centurion, Cornelius' house, and ended up preaching the Gospel and experiencing the Holy Spirit being poured out on the group of Gentiles. John's question that is resounding in my head tonight is, "When was the last time you were astounded by God?"

Finally, our pastor, Scott Patty, returned to the pulpit after a month-long break, and began a new series from the Book of Exodus, and today gave a summary of "The Exodus" and why we are returning to it as a church. The points I'm pondering from the sermon tonight are:
  • The Exodus is the account of the nation of Isreal in Egypt (they spent 430 years in slavery there)
  • The Exodus is the account of God remembering His covenant with Isreal (God always remembers and always acts in time).
  • The Exodus is the account of the Lord's delivering (He is our Deliverer).
  • The Exodus is the account of a new phase of the relationship between God and His people (He is our God and we are His people).
  • The Exodus is the revelation of God (He is the great I AM).
  • We are returning to the Exodus to do some remembering.

I am not sure how all of this is going to work together, but I know that God will show me as I go.

No comments: